To activate access and to create your personal Bernoulli/IMS/ISI member account, you will need your Elsevier Customer Reference Number. Your Customer Reference Number can be found on the mailing label of the paper issue of Stochastic Processes and their Applications. The Customer Reference Number has to be entered at:
that “https://” MUST be entered for this URL – “http://” will not work. This is to ensure that your registration details are secured when you enter them into the registration form.
After entering, click on "submit". The next step is completing a user profile. You will be asked to fill out a form and choose a password. A username will be assigned. Both username and password will be case sensitive. After registration you can directly login with your new username and password.
Note - please do NOT use special characters, such as ö, ä, æ when entering your personal details into the profile form.
In the future you can go straight to: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/03044149 and enter your personal username and password in the login bar on the top of the page.
If you encounter any problems registering, please note that older browsers may not support SSL encryption, which is required for secure data transmission. Also, cookies must be enabled in your browser to support the registration process.
Should you require any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the closest Customer Support department as follows:
Customers in North, Central, and South America should contact:
(+1 212-462-1978 if calling from outside the USA and Canada)
Fax: +1 212-633-3680
Customers in Europe, The Middle East and Africa should contact:
Telephone: +31 20 485 3767
Fax: +31 20 485 3432
Customers in Asia Pacific including Australia (except Japan) should contact:
Telephone: +65 434 3727
Fax: +65 337 2230
Customers in Japan should contact:
Telephone: +81 3-5561-5034
Fax: +81 3-5561-5047
Bernoulli Society communication channels
Official publications of the Bernoulli Society
Bernoulli Society co-sponsored publications
Stochastics is the paradigm of the 21st Century, as has been highlighted, amongst others, by Peter Jagers, former President of the Bernoulli Society (see "A Word from the President" in Bernoulli News Vol. 12, No.2, 2005). This is a challenge for probability, statistics and stochastic processes as a whole, not specific or exclusive to a single society or institution. This calls for the existence of several strong worldwide scientific and professional societies in these fields that assure equilibriums and necessary broadness of views.
Joining the Bernoulli Society is a way of supporting connections across the worldwide community of statisticians and probabilists. Getting involved in the Bernoulli Society is an excellent way of making scientific friends across the world. This can be done by running conferences; serving on the several Society committees; sharing news and information with other members through the Bernoulli Website and/or Bernoulli News; attending meetings; presenting initiatives, etc.
Like all sciences, probability and mathematical statistics are disciplines which know no boundaries. Joining the Bernoulli Society is one way to express this in tangible form - and is an important step towards establishing a broad global network of professional relationships to sustain one's professional career over the long term.
As an incentive to become a member, the Bernoulli Society offers:
- 50% fee reduction for the first year of membership of new members
- PhD Students join for free
- Certain categories such as members from developing countries receive a 70% fee reduction.
- There is also an option to become a Joint Member of BS-IMS at a reduced rate.
- ISI elected members have an option to become a Joint Member of ISI-BS-IMS at a reduced rate.
All the above members receive the full membership benefits of a regular member. We welcome you to apply for a membership and consult the detailed membership information.
The Bernoulli Society organizes or sponsors several meetings in the area of mathematical statistics and probability, whether physical, virtual, or mixed.
Organizers of a meeting seeking sponsorship should email their request to the Bernoulli Society Scientific Secretary (see Who is Who in the Bernoulli Society for the email address), giving a short summary of the meeting details including dates. The Scientific Secretary will then ask Bernoulli Society Executive Committee to approve the sponsorship.
Bernoulli Society requires three things of a Bernoulli-sponsored meeting:
- They display the Bernoulli logo in publicity;
- They ensure there is a named Bernoulli Society member on the programme committee, who will ensure the meeting is publicized in Bernoulli News as a Bernoulli sponsored meeting and write a brief post-meeting report for Bernoulli News;
- Finally there should be a reduced registration fee for Bernoulli Society members unless the meeting charges a flat fee to all participants.
Subject to deadlines and to space being available, meetings sponsored by Bernoulli Society may submit short notices advertising their meetings for inclusion in Bernoulli News and Bernoulli e-Briefs. (See Publications for e-mail addresses of the Editors of Bernoulli News and Bernoulli e-Briefs.)
- (online) Bernoulli-IMS One World Symposium 2020, August 24-28, 2020. conference website.
- (online) XXIV EBP, August 31-September 04, 2020. conference website.
- The 6th IMS Asia Pacific Rim Meeting (IMS-APRM), Melbourne, Australia, January 5-8, 2021, conference website.
- Frontier Probability Days (FPD’20), Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, May 16-18, 2021, conference website.
- International Symposium on Nonparametric Statistics (ISNPS2020), Paphos, Cyprus, June 14-18, 2021, conference website.
- São Paulo School of advanced science on singular stochastic partial differential equations and their applications, Campinas, Brazil, July 20-31, 2021, conference website.
- Renyi Centennial Conference, Budapest, June 28-July 1, 2021, conference website.
- International Conference on Robust Statistics TU Wien, Vienna, Austria, June 28-July 2, 2021, conference website.
- Extreme Value Analysis, Edinburgh, June 28-July 2, 2021. conference website.
- 63rd ISI World Statistics Congress in Hague, Netherlands, July 12-16 2021, conference website.
- 10th Bernoulli-IMS World Congress in Probability and Statistics in Seoul, South Korea, July 19-23, 2021. conference website. Pre-meeting for young researchers: July 17-18, 2021.
- 42nd Conference on Stochastic Processes and their Applications 2022 in Wuhan, China, June 27- July 1 2022.
- 33rd European Meeting of Statisticians in Moscow, Russia, July 18-22, 2022. conference website.
- 43rd Conference on Stochastic Processes and their Applications 2023 in Lisbon, July 24-28 2023.
- The 23rd Conference of the Romanian Society for Probability and Statistics, Politehnica University of Timisoara, Timisoara, April 24-25, 2020, conference website. (postponed)
- 40th Finnish summer school in Probability and Statistics, Lammi, Finland, May 25-29, 2020, conference website (postponed)
Bernoulli regular meetings
Bernoulli-IMS World Congress in Probability and Statistics
- 10th 2021 in Seoul, South Korea, July 19-23 2021. conference website. Pre-meeting for young researchers: July 17-18, 2021.
- 9th 2016 in Toronto, Canada, July 11-15, conference website. Pre-meeting for young researchers: July 7-8, 2016.
- 8th 2012 in Istanbul, Turkey, July 9-14, conference website, 750 participants.
Conference on Stochastic Processes and their Applications (SPA)
- 43rd 2023 in Lisbon, July 24-28.
- 42nd 2022 in Wuhan, China, June 27- July 1.
- 41st 2019 in Evanston, Chicago, USA, July 8-12.
- 40th 2018 in Gothenburg, Sweden, June 11-15, conference website.
- complete list
ISI World Statistics Congress
One World summer courses and seminar series
- One World Probability Project project website.
- Bernoulli-IMS One World Symposium 2020, August 24 - 28, 2020.
Latin American Congress in Probability and Mathematical Statistics (CLAPEM)
- XV CLAPEM 2019 in Merida, Yucatán, Mexico, December 1-6, 2019, conference website.
- XIV CLAPEM 2016 in San José, Costa Rica, December 5-9, conference website.
- XIII CLAPEM 2014 in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia, September 22-26, conference website.
- complete list
Brazilian School of Probability
European Meeting of Statisticians (EMS)
European Young Statisticians Meeting (EYSM)
- Our Publications
- Our Meetings
- Our History
The Bernoulli Society for Mathematical Statistics and Probability was founded in 1975 as a Section of the International Statistical Institute (ISI). Established in 1885, the ISI is one of the oldest scientific associations operating in the modern world.
The objectives of the Bernoulli Society are the advancement of the sciences of probability (including stochastic processes) and mathematical statistics and of their applications to all those aspects of human endeavour which are directed towards the increase of natural knowledge and the welfare of mankind.
The Bernoulli Society has a membership of more than 1000 representing nearly 70 countries from all the continents. The Society has partnered with some societies to offer joint membership with reduction in dues by joining both organizations at the same time. These include the ISI and the IMS.
There are many benefits of a Bernoulli Society membership and we offer different kinds of memberships.
The Bernoulli Society sponsors several scientific high level standards publications on its own or in strategic association with commercial publishers and other scientific societies. It is continually seeking for negotiations and decisions for favorable and reasonable commercial conditions for its publications and reduced rates in related publications for its members.
As one of its main activities, the Bernoulli Society organizes or sponsors several international meetings which have prominent relevance and strong traditions in mathematical statistics, probability and stochastic processes and their applications. The meetings are often held in conjunction with the Bernoulli Society regional and subject committees and other professional societies. Bernoulli Society members have reduced registration fees to these meetings.
The Bernoulli Society is led by an Executive Committee and a Council. In addition there are several standing committees for specific administrative functions, the development and advancement of specific subject areas in mathematical statistics, probability theory and stochastic processes and their applications, and the support of activities that promote the cooperation within geographical regions. Please look at the detailed descriptions of the organization and the Who is Who in the Bernoulli Society for further details.
The two official scientific publications are Bernoulli Journal and Stochastic Processes and their Applications (SPA, an Elsevier journal). The editorial boards of both journals are appointed by the Bernoulli Society.
Published twice a year, Bernoulli News is a magazine that provides detailed information about activities and initiatives of the Society. In addition, the BS contributes to the ISI Newsletter where a broad overview of ISI activities and additional information of interest to statisticians can be found.
In addition, the Bernoulli Society co-sponsors, on equal footing with the IMS, the following open-access online scientific publications: Electronic Communications in Probability, Electronic Journal of Probability, Electronic Journal of Statistics, Probability Surveys and Statistics Surveys. The editorial boards of the co-sponsored journals are jointly selected and appointed by the BS and the IMS and both societies share the cost of maintaining and operating these publications. Statistics Surveys is also co-sponsored by the American Statistical Association and the Statistical Society of Canada.
Bernoulli E-Briefs, is an electronic information bulletin that summarizes and draws the attention of relevant information to the membership.
Some of the Bernoulli Society meetings with a proud tradition are:
- The World Congress of the Bernoulli Society every four years since 1986.
- The Conference on Stochastic Processes and their Applications organized every year (except the year of the BS World Congress) since 1971 by the Committee for Conferences on Stochastic Processes.
- The biennial ISI World Statistics Congress (formerly ISI Session) since 1853, where the BS organizes Special Invited Sessions.
- The annual European Meeting of Statisticians (EMS) since 1962 and the biennial European Young Statisticians Meeting (EYSM) since 1978, organized by the European Regional Committee.
- The Latin American Congress in Probability and Mathematical Statistics (CLAPEM) organized every two or three years since 1980 by the Latin American Regional Committee - SLAPEM
We maintain an extensive list of upcoming conferences and meetings.
Former Bernoulli Society Presidents are:
- 1975 David G Kendall
- 1975-1977 David Blackwell
- 1977-1979 Klaus Krickeberg
- 1979-1981 David Cox
- 1981-1983 Pal Revesz
- 1983-1985 Elizabeth Scott
- 1985-1987 Chris Heyde
- 1987-1989 Willem van Zwet
- 1989-1991 Albert Shirayev
- 1991-1993 Peter J Bickel
- 1993-1995 Ole Barndorff-Nielsen
- 1995-1997 Jef L Teugels
- 1997-1999 Louis Chen
- 1999-2001 David Siegmund
- 2001-2003 Peter G Hall
- 2003-2005 Don Dawson
- 2005-2007 Peter Jagers
- 2007-2009 Jean Jacod
- 2009-2011 Victor Perez-Abreu
- 2011-2013 Ed Waymire
- 2013-2015 Wilfrid S Kendall
- 2015-2017 Sara van de Geer
- 2017-2019 Susan Murphy
- 2019-2021 Claudia Klüppelberg
A list of non-presidential officeholders of the Bernoulli Society Executive Committee.
For a detailed history of the Bernoulli Society please click here.