e-Briefs Issue 37 September 2019
Bernoulli Society Bulletin e-Briefs Issue 37 September 2019
- GENERAL NEWS
- JOB OFFERS
- RECENT ISSUES OF OFFICIAL AND SPONSORED PUBLICATIONS
***News from the General Assembly at ISI-WSC
At the ISI World Statistics Congress 2019 in Kuala Lumpur, the Bernoulli Society General Assembly approved new office appointments:
Claudia Klüppelberg (TU Munich) became the new President of the Bernoulli Society (with Adam Jakubowski (University of Torun) as President-Elect) and Song Xi Chen (Peking University) replaced Byeong U. Park as Scientific Secretary.
We thank previous President Susan Murphy and previous Scientific Secretary Byeong U. Park for their dedicated service and steering of the society in the past years.
Approved were also
- New C(PS)^2 Chair: Michael Beer (University of Hannover)
- New ERC Chair: Marloes Maathuis (ETH Zurich)
- New LARC Chair: Florencia Leonardi (University of São Paulo)
Moreover, a new post "Publicity Secretary" on the Executive Committee and a new standing "Publicity Committee" was established with Victor Panaretos as chair. This gives the ad-hoc officer Publicity Chair (Victor Panaretos, since February 2018) its proper status.
We thank Victor for his support in developing this important new committee.
***Newly elected SLAPEM Committee 2019-2021
Four new members of the Latin American Regional Committee of the Bernoulli Society have been elected: Juan Carlos Abril (Argentina), Maria Eulalia Vares (Brazil), Richard Serrano-Agila (Ecuador) and Juan Carlos Pardo Millán (México). The elected new Chair of the Committee is Florencia Leonardi (Brazil).
***Mathias Drton wins the Ethel Newbold Prize 2019
During the ISI World Congress in Kuala Lumpur, the Ethel Newbold Prize winner (see http://www.bernoulli-society.org/index.php/prizes?id=207 for background on the prize), selected by the Prize Committee chaired by Eva b. Vedel Jensen, was announced to be Prof. Mathias Drton (U Washington, TU Munich). Congratulations!
***Bernoulli Prize for an Outstanding Survey Article in Statistics 2022
***Corina Constantinescu as Bernoulli Society Twitter Manager
We are pleased to inform that Corina Constantinescu (University of Liverpool) is taking over as main responsible for the Bernoulli Society Twitter account, @BernoulliSoc. We encourage all BS members to follow the Bernoulli Society on Twitter!
Events sponsored and co-sponsored by Bernoulli Society
***XV Latin American Congress of Probability and Mathematical Statistics (CLAPEM 2019)
December 2 - 6, 2019
Hotel Castellano, Merida-Yucatán, México
The Congreso Latinoamericano de Probabilidad y Estadística Matemática (CLAPEM) is the official meeting of the Sociedad Latino Americana de Probabilidad y Estadística Matemática (SLAPEM), the Latin American Chapter of the Bernoulli Society. It is the major event in Probability and Statistics in the region and it gathers an important number of researchers and students, predominantly from Latin America.
***Workshop on Probabilistic Coupling and Geometry (Kendall’s 65th Birthday)
December 9 - 10, 2019
University of Warwick, UK
This two-day meeting will coincide with a celebration of Professor Wilfrid Kendall’s 65th birthday. It will bring together a group of academics working in areas of probability, statistics and theoretical computer science that make use of coupling arguments. In particular, the workshop will be of interest to those working on adaptive MCMC samplers, links between probability and geometry, statistical shape analysis, and perfect simulation algorithms.
***Bernoulli-IMS 10th World Congress in Probability and Statistics (BS-IMS-WC)
August 17 - 21, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
The congress is the latest in a series organized jointly by the Bernoulli Society and the Institute of Mathematical Statistics. Held every four years, the Congress is a worldwide event covering all branches of statistics and probability. This includes theoretical, methodological, applied and computational statistics and probability, as well as stochastic processes. The latest scientific developments in all of these fields are showcased. It will be held at the Seoul National University.
***29th European Safety and Reliability Conference (ESREL)
September 22 - 26, 2019
The Committee on Probability and Statistics in the Physical Sciences (CPSPS) of the Bernoulli Society for Mathematical Statistics and Probability is supporting the 29th European Safety and Reliability Conference as a collaborative partner. ESREL is organized by the Institute for Risk and Reliability, Leibniz Universität Hannover under the auspices of the European Safety and Reliability Association (ESRA). The objective of ESREL 2019 is to provide an all-round inspiring environment and a multi-disciplinary forum for the exchange of knowledge and expertise on theories and methods in the field of risk, safety and reliability, and on their application to a wide range of industrial, civil and social sectors and problem areas. Papers presented will be published in open access conference proceedings by Research Publishing Services, Singapore.
***2020 Summer Research for Women in Mathematics (SWiM) Program
The Mathematical Sciences Research Institute invites applications for its 2020 Summer Research for Women in Mathematics program. The purpose of this program is to provide space and funds to groups of women mathematicians to work on a research project at MSRI. Seehttps://www.msri.org/web/msri/scientific/summer-research-for-women-in-mathematics
* Assistant Professorship in Statistics at EPFL. Outstanding candidates with research interests in the development and application of novel statistical methodology, including candidates focusing on a substantive application area are sought. Indicative methodological interests include large scale and causal inference, computationally intensive inference, and nonparametric inference. Indicative areas of application include, but are not limited to, biomedical science, genetics/genomics, environmental and earth science, physics and astronomy. The evaluation process will start on October 1st, 2019.
* Professorship of Mathematics at University of Fribourg/Switzerland. Qualified applicants must have an outstanding track record in a field of mathematics with strong potential for applications, such as (but not limited to): PDE, dynamical systems, discrete mathematics, applied algebra, mathematical statistics, data science, numerical analysis, scientific computing. The closing date for applications is October 31st, 2019.
* Assistant Professorship in Applied Mathematics at EPFL. Outstanding candidates whose research centers on the mathematical foundations of (statistical) learning are sought, in particular: high dimensional approximation theory, applied and/or computational harmonic analysis, nonparametric and/or high dimensional statistics, as well as non-convex and/or high dimensional continuous optimization. The evaluation process will start on November 1st, 2019. See https://www.epfl.ch/about/working/appliedmathematics/
* Assistant Professorship in Mathematics at EPFL. Outstanding candidates with research interests in analysis and/or geometry, broadly construed, are sought. Areas of interest include differential geometry, dynamical systems, geometric analysis, geometric flows, kinetic theory, multiscale analysis and homogenization, (stochastic) PDE. The evaluation process will start on November 1st, 2019.
Recent Issues of Official and Sponsored Publications
* Recent issues of official publications of the Bernoulli Society
Stochastic Processes and their Applications http://goo.gl/JCahtH
* Co-sponsored publications
Have a look at http://goo.gl/7EP2cZ for the latest articles in Electronic Communications in Probability, Electronic Journal of Probability, Electronic Journal of Statistics, Probability Surveys, Statistics Surveys, and ALEA.
* Bernoulli News
Latest issue at http://goo.gl/nRDPYo
Last Updated: Wednesday, 04 September 2019 16:06