Bernoulli Society Bulletin e-Briefs issue 22
1. GENERAL NEWS
4. JOB OFFERS
5. RECENT ISSUES OF OFFICIAL AND SPONSORED PUBLICATIONS
1. GENERAL NEWS
* New membership structure for Bernoulli Society
The Bernoulli Society is introducing new membership structure which will replace the current one from year 2016. The new membership categories include:
- Regular Member: members from developed countries;
- Reduced Rate Member: members from developing countries, first two years of postdoc, retired members, couple members;
- First Year Member: first year membership for regular members;
- Joint Member: BS-IMS and BS-IMS-ISI members;
- Student Member: free membership for PhD students;
- Life Member.
* Named lectures for the 9th World Congress of Probability and Statistics
We are pleased to announce the named lectures for the 9th World Congress of Probability and Statistics. See also “Events” further below. The main plenary speakers are:
- Sara van de Geer (Wald Lecture)
- Bin Yu (Rietz Lecture)
- Scott Sheffield (Doob Lecture)
- Ofer Zeitouni (Schramm Lecture)
- Byeong Park (Laplace Lecture)
- Valerie Isham (Bernoulli Lecture)
- Ruth Williams (Kolmogorov Lecture)
- Servet Martinez (Levy Lecture)
- David Brillinger (Tukey Lecture)
- Frank den Hollander (IMS Medallion Lecture)
- Vanessa Didelez (IMS Medallion Lecture)
- Christina Goldschmidt (IMS Medallion Lecture)
- Arnaud Doucet (IMS Medallion Lecture)
- Pierre del Moral (IMS Medallion Lecture)
* SpringerBriefs in Probability and Mathematical Statistics
We are pleased to announce the series SpringerBriefs in Probability and Mathematical Statistics. Published by Springer under the auspices of the Bernoulli Society, SpringerBriefs present concise summaries of cutting-edge research and practical applications across a wide spectrum of fields. M. Podolskij is serving as Editor-in-chief, and N. Gantert, R. Nickl, S. Péché, G. Reinert, M. Rosenbaum, and W.B. Wu as Series Editors. http://goo.gl/UXOggy
* Call for bids for European Meeting of Statisticians in 2019
* Call for nominations for Doeblin Prize
Founded in 2011, the prize is awarded bi-annually to a single individual for outstanding research in the field of probability theory, and who is at the beginning of their mathematical career. http://goo.gl/gAtuUf
3.1 - Events sponsored and co-sponsored by Bernoulli Society
* UK Easter Probability Meeting 2016, Lancaster, April 04-08
The UK Easter Probability Meeting is a long-standing tradition and is used to bring together the UK probability community. The aim is to discuss recent developments, to speak about future research and also to give PhD students an opportunity to become part of the UK probability community.
Minicourses: Alice Guionnet, Michel Ledoux, Jason Miller, Vladas Sidoravicius. Confirmed speakers: Dmitry Belyaev, Noam Berger, Natasha Blitvic Erwin Bolthausen, Jon Keating, Kay Kirkpatrick, Elizabeth Meckes, Anatoly Vershik, Fredrik Viklund.
Registration now open. http://goo.gl/RdseLR
* 4th Institute of Mathematical Statistics Asia Pacific Rim Meeting, Hong Kong, June 27-30
The fourth meeting of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics meeting series, IMS Asia Pacific Rim Meeting, will take place in Hong Kong during June 27-30, 2016. It will provide an excellent forum for scientific communications and collaborations for the researchers in Asia and Pacific Rim, and promote communications and collaborations between the researchers in this area and those from other parts of the world.
Deadline for session proposals: November 20. http://goo.gl/yZvgNA
* 9th World Congress of Probability and Statistics, Toronto, July 11-15
The 9th World Congress of Probability and Statistics is the latest in a series organized jointly by the Bernoulli Society and the Institute of Mathematical Statistics. Held every four years, the it is a worldwide event covering all branches of statistics and probability. This includes theoretical, methodological, applied and computational statistics and probability, as well as stochastic processes. The latest scientific developments in all of these fields are showcased.
Confirmed plenary speakers: David Brillinger (Tukey Lecture), Vanessa Didelez (IMS Medallion Lecture), Arnaud Doucet (IMS Medallion Lecture), Sara van de Geer (Wald Lecture), Christina Goldschmidt (IMS Medallion Lecture), Frank den Hollander (IMS Medallion Lecture), Valerie Isham (Bernoulli Lecture), Servet Martínez (Levy Lecture), Pierre del Moral (IMS Medallion Lecture), Byeong Park (Laplace Lecture), Scott Sheffield (Doob Lecture), Ruth Williams (Kolmogorov Lecture), Bin Yu (Rietz Lecture), Ofer Zeitouni (Schramm Lecture). http://goo.gl/YdjeOu
* 61st World Statistics Congress, Marrakech, July 16-21, 2017
The Chair of the Scientific Programme Committee, Fabrizio Ruggeri, and the Chair of the Local Programme Committee, Mohamed Taamouti, invite the statistical community to present proposals for the Invited Paper Sessions and Special Topic Sessions.
Deadline for proposing an Invited Paper Session: February 15. http://goo.gl/W0p6IX
3.2 - Other events
* 21st Intl Congress on Modelling and Simulation, Queensland, November 29 - December 04
The Biannual MODSIM2015 congress of the Modelling and Simulations Society of Australia and New Zealand is to be held with the theme “partnering with industry and the community for innovation and impact through modelling”. Expressions of Interest should include a title and summary for those who intend to submit a full paper or extended abstract for presentation at the conference. List of sessions available at the webpage. http://goo.gl/Ddy8q2
* 9th Conference of the Asian Regional Section of the IASC, Singapore, December 17-19
The IASC-ARS conference is the main conference organized by the Asian Regional Section of the International Association for Statistical Computing. It is organized every two to four years for attendees to exchange and learn about the latest information in Statistical Computing with applications. The conference topic for 2015 is “Statistical Computing: Challenges and Opportunities in Big Data Era”. http://goo.gl/5ut65t
* 12th German Probability and Statistics Days, Bochum, March 01-04
The DMV-Fachgruppe Stochastik organizes jointly with the Ruhr-Universität Bochum the 12th German Probability and Statistics Days 2016 Bochumer Stochastik-Tage. this meeting provides an international forum for presentation and discussion of new results in the area of probability and statistics. Contributed talks will be given in 12 sections devoted to specific topics; the highlight of each section will be one invited main talk.
Plenary speakers: Sandrine Dudoit, Laszlo Erdös, Martin Hairer, Iain Johnstone, Walter Schachermayer.
Deadline for abstract submission: November 30. http://goo.gl/oQj5ul
* 12th Conference on Stochastic Networks, University of California, San Diego, June 20-24
This week-long event continues a tradition that was started in 1987 and has now become a biennial event. The aim of the conference is to bring together researchers who share an interest in stochastic network models, to survey recent developments, and to identify future research directions.
Speakers: Emmanuel Abbe, Anima Anandkumar, Rami Atar, Francois Baccelli, Maury Bramson, Guy Bresler, Fan Chung Graham, Jim Dai, Itai Gurvich, Weining Kang, Tom Kurtz, Mark Lewis, Yi Lu, Siva Maguluri, Laurent Massoulie, Angelia Nedich, Kavita Ramanan, Philippe Robert, Neil Walton, Galit Yom Tov, Bert Zwart. http://goo.gl/OqWuAC
4. JOB OFFERS
Job offers can range from graduate scholarships to full Professor positions, in Probability, Mathematical Statistics, and related areas. Those who are aware of public calls for applications may send a contribution directly to the e-Briefs Editor.
* Professor, Associate Professor and Assistant Professor (tenure-track), New York University Shanghai
NYU Shanghai is currently inviting applications for both senior and junior level appointments from candidates in disciplines of mathematical sciences. Candidates with a research record in Partial Differential Equations, Probability Theory, or the applications thereof are preferred, however exceptional candidates in all fields may be considered. The recruited faculty will also become members of a cross-disciplinary research institute, which is a collaborative entity between the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences at NYU, East China Normal University and NYU Shanghai.
The terms of employment are comparable to U.S. institutions. Faculty may also spend time at NYU New York and other sites of the global network, engaging in both research and teaching opportunities. Appointments can begin as soon as September 1, 2016, with a later start date possible pending candidate availability. http://goo.gl/jkjbKc
5. RECENT ISSUES OF OFFICIAL AND SPONSORED PUBLICATIONS
* Recent issues of official publications of the Bernoulli Society
Stochastic Processes and their Applications http://goo.gl/JCahtH
* Co-sponsored publications
Have a look at http://goo.gl/7EP2cZ for the latest articles in Electronic Communications in Probability, Electronic Journal of Probability, Electronic Journal of Statistics, Probability Surveys and Statistics Surveys, as well as International Statistical Review.
* Bernoulli News
Latest issue at http://goo.gl/nRDPYo