Bernoulli Society Bulletin 'E-Briefs' issue 13
1.- GENERAL NEWS
2 - 2013 INTERNATIONAL YEAR OF STATISTICS
3 - EVENTS
4 - PRIZES
5 - OBITUARIES
6 - RECENTLY RELEASED ISSUES OF BernSoc OFFICIAL AND
For information to be considered in the next issue please contact
1- GENERAL NEWS
* 2013 International Year of Statistics. Happy New Year to all members! As most of you already know, 2013 has been proclaimed the International Year of Statistics and the Bernoulli Society will play, in collaboration with other societies, a primary role in promoting ways of celebrating the impact and growing importance of Probability and Statistics in all aspects of society. A special section of this bulletin contains an up-to-date list of activities co-sponsored by BerSoc as part of the 2013IYOS initiative.
* Membership renewal for 2013. We remind all our members that it is never too late to renew your annual BerSoc membership. You can submit your renewal form by visiting http://www.bernoulli-society.org/index.php/membership . We would also like to encourage you to diffuse information about special offers and fee reductions available to prospective new members (PhD students, postdoc and career-young researchers).
* Recent BerSoc appointments. We are very happy to welcome six of our fellow society members who have recently begun new terms of service with new or continuing roles with Bernoulli Society:
- Maria Eulalia Vares, Chair of the Publications Committee from July, 2012;
- Lynne Billard, Treasurer of the Bernoulli Society, and member of the Executive Committee from 1 January, 2013;
- George Michailidis, new editor-in-chief of the Electronic Journal of Statistics (co-sponsored by Bernoullli jointly with IMS), from 1 January, 2013;
- Eric Moulines, new editor-In-chief of Bernoulli, from 1 January, 2013;
- Mark Poldolskij, Member Secretary of the Bernoulli Society, and of the Executive Committee from 1 January 2013;
-Nakahiro Yoshida, who will be continuing a further term as Scientific Secretary of the Bernoulli Society, and continuing on the Executive Committee, from 1 January, 2013.
* 2013 Mathematics of Planet Earth. the Bernoulli Society is one of the more than 100 partner organizations contributing to the efforts in the Mathematics of Planet Earth, 2013 (MPE-2013) initiative through the activities of the Committee on Probability and Statistics in the Physical Sciences (C(PS)2 ). Check http://mpe2013.org/ for updated information.
2 - 2013 INTERNATIONAL YEAR OF STATISTICS. INITIATIVES (CO)-SPONSORED BY BERNOULI SOCIETY
Further updates to the following list can be found at the website http://www.bs2013.org , where you can also find information on how to contribute to the success of the 2013IYOS programme and how to apply for BerSoc co-sponsorship. Further information about some of the conferences mentioned in this list can be found in Section 3 of this bulletin.
* Special Issue of the Bernoulli Journal (BJ) in 2013. Thomas Mikosch and Richard Davis guest editors. This issue will be published in addition to the four numbers of the annual volume and will have universal electronic open access.
* Special Issue of the journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications (SPA) in 2013. Rainer Dahlhaus, Jean Jacod, Per Mykland and Nakahiro Yoshida guest editors. This issue will be published in addition to the four numbers of the annual volume and will have universal electronic open access.
* Invited paper related to the historic and future impacts of Ars Conjectandi, to appear in 2013 in the Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, co-sponsored by the Bernoulli Society.
* 59th ISI World Statistics Congress in Hong Kong; August 24 -30, 2013. Invited Paper Session History I: Jacob Bernoulli's "Ars Conjectandi" as the emergence of probability. Organizer: Adam Jakubowski, speakers: Edith Sylla, Chris Burdzy, Christian P. Robert, Nick Bingham.
* Public lecture by Kenneth Golden at the 36th Conference on Stochastic Processes and their Applications in Boulder, Colorado, July 29 – August 2, 2013
* Special sessions at the 29th European Meeting of Statisticians (EMS) in Budapest, Hungary, July 20 - 25, 2013.
- Ars Conjectandi lecture celebrating the 300th anniversary of its publication: Glenn Shafer, one more speaker TBA.
- Thomas Bayes commemorial lecture for the 250th anniversary of presentation of his essays: Christian P. Robert
- Commemorial session for the 300th Anniversary of the St. Petersburg paradox Organiser: István Berkes, speakers TBA
- Panel discussion on the future of statistics Moderator: Wilfrid Kendall, panel members: Michael Jordan, Steffen Lauritzen, Henry Wynn, two more TBA.
* Ars Conjectandi Public Lecture given by David Spiegelharlter, during Joint Statistical Meeting 2013 held in Montréal, Canada, August 3-8, 2013.
* International Conference Ars Conjectandi 1713-2013, Basel, October 15-16, 2013, will focus on the history of the Ars Conjectandi, the impact on science and the development to date of the most important result in this book; the Law of Large Numbers. The Bernoulli Society is one of the organizations sponsoring the Basel Conference.
* Visiting position related to the celebration of the International Year of Statistics 2013 is offered upon application at CIMAT, Guanajuato, Mexico.
* Public Lecture in Statistics by Valerie Isham (president of the Royal Statistical Society) to be held at the University of Warwick on 8 May, 2013. http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/news/wplms/
* A series of conferences held in Poland in 2013 (German-Polish Joint Conference on Probability and Mathematical Statistics, June 6-9, 2013, Torun, 17th Workshop on Stochastic Geometry, Stereology and Image Analysis, June 11-15, 2013, Torun, 7th Conference on Levy Processes, 15-19 July 2013, Wroclaw) will contain public lectures/ special sessions related to the IYOS 2013.
* Conference Building Bridges: Probability, Statistics and Applications, August 13-16, 2013, Braunschweig, Germany.
* Public lecture on Ars Conjectandi by Persi Diaconis, at the Mathematical Congress of the Americas held in Guanajuato, Mexico, August 5-9, 2013
* Bernoulli Society's Committee on Probability and Statistics in the Physical Sciences http://www.aueb.gr/bs-cpsps is organizing special sessions for the JSM in Montreal and WSC in Hong Kong for 2013, among other international congresses.
* In Fall of 2013 a public event will be held in Portland, Oregon, USA organized by representatives of seven different universities and the president of the Oregon Academy of Sciences. It will consist of a lecture by a prominent speaker followed by a reception that will include an award ceremony for the local video contest entries to the international competition.
3.1- Events (co)-sponsored by BernSoc.
* PARTY 2013 Perspectives on Actuarial Risks in Talks of Young Researchers. January 28th – February 1st 2013. Centro Stefano Franscini, Ascona, Switzerland. This workshop for young researchers working on current actuarial science topics will focus on two main areas of research of today’s insurance risk: Longevity Risk and Risk Theory.
* First German-Polish Joint Conference on Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics, Torun, Poland, June 6-9, 2013. http://www.gpps.umk.pl/
- Abstract submission. Deadline: February 28th, 2013.
- Early Bird registration deadline: March 31st, 2013.
* EMS2013. The 29th European Meeting of Statisticians (EMS2013). Budapest, Hungary, 20-25. July 2013. http://ems2013.eu
- Abstract submission deadline: 15 March 2013.
- Registration open from January 2013
* SPA 2013. The 2013 congress in Stochastic Processes and their Applications. Boulder, University of Colorado,USA, July 29 - August 2. http://math.colorado.edu/spa2013/
- Travel awards will be available to junior participants without their own sources of federal funding. Highest priority will be given to members of underrepresented groups, including women. VIsit the conference website for information. Awards will be announced by March 2013.
* XVII EBP Brazilian School of Probability. Mambucaba, Rio de Janeiro, August 4-10, 2013.
- The EBP is an annual event. This 17th edition is organized by IM-UFRJ and IMPA. Minicourses by Martin Hairer (Warwick) and Errico Presutti (Roma). List of invited lecturers already available at: http://www.im.ufrj.br/ebp17/
- There will be also space for short communications and poster sessions. Updated information at the conference website http://www.im.ufrj.br/ebp17/
* Building Bridges: Probability, Statistics and Applications, August 13—August 16, 2013, TU Braunschweig, Germany.
- A complete list of speakers and further details can be found at https://www.tubraunschweig.de/stochastik/tagungen/building-bridges
* ICAS VI Sixth International Conference on Agricultural Statistics . Rio de Janeiro, October 23 - 25, 2013. http://eventos.ibge.gov.br/en/icas2013.
- Before the Conference, FAO and the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) will organize and conduct two-day training sessions for young statisticians from developing countries.
* SPA 2014. The 2014 congress in Stochastic Processes and their Applications will take place in Buenos Aires (Argentina), during the week July 28 - August , 2014.
3.2- Other events
* 59th ISI WSC 2013, 25-30 August 2013 in Hong Kong http://www.isi2013.hk/
- Extended deadline for submission of proposals for the Special Topic Sessions (STS): 30th June 2012. ISI and Associations’ members, ISI Committees and other organizations are encouraged to submit their proposals by completing the proposal form located at http://www.isi2013.hk/download/59WSC_STS_proposal_form.pdf
- Early Bird registration deadline: 31 May, 2013.
* 17th Workshop on Stochastic Geometry, Stereology and Image Analysis, June, 11th--15th, 2013, Torun, Poland, www.sg2013.umk.pl .
- The event is In conjunction with the Tomasz Schreiber's Memorial
Session, Torun, Poland, www.tsms.umk.pl to be held on June 10. 2013
* Mathematical Congress of the Americas, August 5-9, 2013, Guanajuato, Mexico http://www.mca2013.org/
- On line registration opens in January, 2013
5 - OBITUARIES
*ISI Elected Member George Casella, University of Florida, passed away on June 17, 2012. In a distinguished career at Rutgers, Cornell and the University of Florida, George mentored 48 MS and PhD students, published over 200 articles in peer-reviewed journals, and co-authored nine textbooks which are among the best known among students in Statistics.
* ISI elected member W. Jackson “Jack” Hall, died on October 14, 2012, at age 82. PhD, Fellow of the IMS, Emeritus Professor of Statistics and Professor in the Department of Biostatistics and Computational Biology at the University of Rochester. Jack made deep and influential contributions in many areas of statistics, including decision theory, Bayesian statistics, survival analysis, semiparametric inference and sequential analysis, which he also applied to developing innovative statistical designs for clinical trials in cardiology.
6.- RECENTLY RELEASED ISSUES BY THE BERNOULI SOCIETY AND
* Recent issues:
- BERNOULLI 18(2-4) http://www.bernoulli-society.org/
- SPA 123 (1-3) http://www.elsevier.com/locate/spa
* Co-sponsored open access publications:
Have a look to the latest articles in ECP, EJP, EJS, Probab. Surveys and Statist Surveys at http://www.bernoulli-society.org/index.php/publications
* Latest issue of Bernoulli News: http://isi.cbs.nl/bnews/12b/Bernoulli_News_19-2.pdf