Bernoulli Society Bulletin 'E-Briefs' issue 16
1.- GENERAL NEWS
2 - EVENTS
3 - RECENTLY RELEASED ISSUES OF BernSoc OFFICIAL AND
For information to be considered in the next issue please contact
1- GENERAL NEWS
* Website for the Centennial of Kiyosi Itô
2015 is the centennial of the birth of Kiyosi Itô. To celebrate
this anniversary, the Mathematical Society of Japan (MSJ) and RIMS,
Kyoto University have created the following special website:
This website contains open access to unpublished lecture notes
by Kiyosi Itô, the collection of papers dedicated to Itô on his 80th
birthday, and a list of Itô’s works and links to his papers. The website
will also announce information about events related to the centennial.
* SPA Special Volume in honour of E. Giné.
The journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications will
publish a special volume in honor of Professor Evarist Giné. It will be
based on contributions to the conference
http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~nickl/Site/2014.html which will take
place on the occasion of Prof. Giné's 70th birthday and gather
specialists in fields ranging from probability in Banach spaces,
empirical, chaos- and U- process theory to mathematical and
nonparametric statistics. Tentative guest editors: Sara van de Geer,
Vladimir Koltchinskii, Richard Nickl, and Jon Wellner. Elsevier will
grant free perpetual access to the special volume since its publication.
* Bernoulli Journal and IMS.
The agreement between the International Statistical
Institute/Bernoulli Society and the Institute of Mathematical Statistics
(IMS) for publication and subscription services for the Bernoulli
Journal has been renewed for three years, starting January 1st, 2015.
* Bernoulli Society appoints Doob and Schramm lecturers for 2016.
The Doob and Schramm lecturers for 2016, who will present their
lectures at the IMS / Bernoulli World Congress of Probability and
Statistics (Toronto, July 11-15, 2016), have now been appointed jointly
by the Institute of Mathematical Statistics and the Bernoulli Society.
Schramm Lecturer: Ofer Zeitouni
Doob Lecturer: Scott Sheffield
For further details about these lectures, see
2 - EVENTS
2.1- Events (co)-sponsored by BernSoc.
* 37th Conference on Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Buenos
Aires, Argentina, from July 28 to August 1, 2014.
-The publishing company Elsevier and the journal Stochastic
Processes and Their Applications sponsor the conference with four
Elsevier Travel Grants worth 500 Euros each. The grants will be awarded
to the following junior researchers: Loren Coquille (Bonn), Sandro
Gallo (Rio de Janeiro), Adriana Neumann de Oliveira (Porto Alegre),
Marielle Simon (Lyon). Congratulations to the winners !!- Plenary
speakers: Anton Bovier, Ivan Corwin, Laszlo Erdös, Antonio Galves,
Christophe Garban, Martin Hairer (Lévy Lecture), Milton Jara, Gady
Kozma, Eyal Lubetzky, Sylvie Méléard, David Nualart (IMS Medallion
Lecture), Felix Otto, Tomohiro Sasamoto, Scott Sheffield, Fabio
Toninelli, Balint Tóth, and a Doeblin Prize Lecture to be announced.
List of recommended hotels and list of contributed sessions now
available on the conference website http://mate.dm.uba.ar/~probab/spa2014/.
* Third IMS Asia Pacific Rim Meetings, Howard International House,
Taipei, Taiwan, June 30 - July 3, 2014. http://www.ims-aprm2014.tw .
- This meeting series provides an excellent forum for
scientific communications between the researchers in this area and those
from other parts of the world. The program covers a wide range of topics
in statistics and probability, presenting recent developments and the
state of the art in a variety of modern research topics and in applications.
Plenary speakers Jianqing Fan (Princeton) and Persi diaconis
Preliminary programme and list of speakersProgramme now
available available at http://www.ims-aprm2014.tw/Program.php
* UK Probability, Imperial College London, 15-19 September 2014.
- Registration is now open via the conference website:
- Support for PhD students will be available. Details on how to
apply can be found on the conference website (deadline 31 July 2014).
- The meeting will include mini-courses by Burdzy (Washington),
Roberts (Warwick) and Schachermayer (Vienna) and a number of invited
-List of confirmed invited speakers available at the
* ISI – World Bank CLAPEM Latin American Congress of Probability and
Mathematical Statistics, September 22-26, 2014, in Cartagena de Indias,
Colombia from September 22 to 26, 2014, sponsored by the Bernoulli
Society. Full details and programme available at
* European Meeting of Statisticians 2015, July 6-10 in Amsterdam, NL.
The EMS is the main conference in statistics and probability in
Europe. It is organized in a roughly two-yearly schedule and is
sponsored by the European Regional Committee of the Bernoulli Society.
- Early bird registration deadline: April 1, 2015.
- Deadline for submitting contributed papers/posters: February 1, 2015
- Besides an individual contributed paper any participant may
propose an organized contributed session. Deadline for submission of
proposal: December 1, 2014. Detail on proposal submission available at
* 9th World Congress on Probability and Statistics, July 11–15, 2016 in
The WCPS congresses are held every four years, and are jointly
sponsored by the Bernoulli Society and the IMS. The Toronto congress
will be hosted through the Fields Institute, with Alison Etheridge
(Oxford) as Scientific Programme Chair and Tom Salisbury (York) as local
chair. For further information see
2.2- Other events
* Australian Statistical Conference in Conjunction with the IMS Annual
Meeting, Australian Technology Park, Sydney, July 7-10, 2014.
- List of keynote speakers and more info available at
* 29th International Workshop on Statistical Modeling, Centre for
Statistics, Georg-August-Universitaat Goettingen, July 14-18, 2014.
* 2015 ISI World Statistics Congress, July 27-31, 2015 in Rio de Janeiro
- Deadline for submitting contributed papers: 13 February 2015.
5.- RECENTLY RELEASED ISSUES BY THE BERNOULI SOCIETY AND
* Recent issues:
- BERNOULLI 20 (1-3) http://www.bernoulli-society.org/
- SPA 124 (5-9) http://www.elsevier.com/locate/spa
* Co-sponsored open access publications:
Have a look to the latest articles in ECP, EJP, EJS, Probab.
Surveys and Statist Surveys at
* Latest issue of Bernoulli News: