Bernoulli Society Bulletin 'E-Briefs' issue 17
1 - GENERAL NEWS
2 - EVENTS
3 - PRIZES
4 - RECENTLY RELEASED ISSUES OF BernSoc OFFICIAL AND
For information to be considered in the next issue please contact
1- GENERAL NEWS
* New EBriefs editor.
It has been a pleasure to serve as EBriefs bulletin editor for the last three years. I would like to thank all the Bernoulli Society members (and especially Maria Eulália Vares, Wilfrid Kendall and Edward Waymire) for the kindness and promptness in providing information, help and support during the entire term. I am pleased to welcome Leonardo Rolla who has co-edited the present issue and will take over the role of Bernoulli EBrief editor starting from issue 18. I am sure Leonardo will do a great job for the next term !
* New editorships.
Both IMS and Bernoulli Councils have confirmed that the following editorships are appointed for three-year terms from the beginning of 2015. In the case of Djalil Chafaï this is a further three-year term continuing the present term of service. Bernoulli Society is extremely grateful to these people for the strategically important service they are willingly offering:
Ben Hambly (Probability Surveys);
Brian Rider (Electronic Journal of Probability);
Sandrine Péché (Electronic Communications in Probability);
Djalil Chafaï (managing editor of EJP/ECP).
We are also very grateful to the outgoing editors of Probability Surveys, Electronic Journal of Probability, Electronic Communications in Probability; namely Laurent Saloff-Coste, Michel Ledoux, and Anton Bovier.
2 - EVENTS
2.1- Events (co)-sponsored by BernSoc.
* 9th International conference on Extreme Value Analysis, June 15-19, 2015 in Ann Arbor. http://sites.lsa.umich.edu/eva2015
- The 9th international conference on Extreme Value Analysis will feature recent research on probability and statistics of extreme value phenomena and its important applications to: climate and weather, finance, insurance, engineering and computer science. All students, researchers, practitioners, and scientists with interests in statistics of extremes are welcome to EVA in Ann Arbor!
- Deadline for abstract submission: February 27, 2015
* European Meeting of Statisticians 2015, July 6-10 in Amsterdam, NL. http://www.ems2015.nl
The EMS is the main conference in statistics and probability in Europe. It is organized in a roughly two-yearly schedule and is sponsored by the European Regional Committee of the Bernoulli Society.
- Early bird registration deadline: April 1, 2015.
- Deadline for submitting contributed papers/posters: February 1, 2015
- Besides an individual contributed paper any participant may propose an organized contributed session. Deadline for submission of proposal: December 1, 2014. Detail on proposal submission available at http://www.ems2015.nl
* 9th World Congress on Probability and Statistics, July 11–15, 2016 in Toronto, Canada.
The WCPS congresses are held every four years, and are jointly sponsored by the Bernoulli Society and the IMS. The Toronto congress will be hosted through the Fields Institute, with Alison Etheridge (Oxford) as Scientific Programme Chair and Tom Salisbury (York) as local chair. For further information see www.fields.utoronto.ca/programs/scientific/16-17/WC2016/
2.2- Other events
* 2015 ISI World Statistics Congress, July 27-31, 2015 in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), http://www.isi2015.org
- Deadline for submitting contributed papers: 13 February 2015.
3 – PRIZES
*Bernoulli Society awards Doeblin Prize to Grégory Miermont.
-Bernoulli Society and its Committee for Conferences on Stochastic Processes is pleased to announce the award of the Doeblin Prize http://www.bernoulli-society.org/index.php/prizes?id=158 to Grégory Miermont.
The Doeblin Prize is generously sponsored by Springer and is awarded to a single individual who is at the beginning of his or her mathematical career, for work in the field of Probability. The awardee of the Prize is invited to submit to Probability Theory and Related Fields a paper which, if accepted, is published as the Wolfgang Doeblin Prize Article, and will present a Doeblin Prize Lecture in the next World Congress of the Bernoulli Society or the next Conference on Stochastic Processes and their Applications (SPA) in an even-numbered year (in this case, the Oxford SPA, 13-17 July 2015).
* Ethel Newbold Prize – call for nominations.
-The Bernoully Society recently approved the establishment of the Ethel Newbold Prize for excellence in statistics, to be awarded every 2 years, beginning in 2015. The name of the prize recognizes a historically important role of women in statistics. The prize itself is for excellence in statistics without reference to the gender of the recipient. The Ethel Newbold Prize is generously supported by Wiley. In any year in which the award is due, the prize will not be awarded unless the set of all nominations includes candidates from both genders.
The award consists of the prize amount of 2500€ together with an award certificate. For this call, the prize winner will be selected in spring 2015. The prize will be awarded at the World Statistics Congress in Rio de Janeiro and the awardee will be invited to present a talk at the Bernoulli Society World Congress in 2016. Further information about the Ethel Newbold Prize may be found at http://www.bernoulli-society.org/index.php/prizes.
4.- RECENTLY RELEASED ISSUES BY THE BERNOULI SOCIETY AND
* Recent issues:
- BERNOULLI 20 (4) http://www.bernoulli-society.org
- SPA 124 (10-12), 125 (1) http://www.elsevier.com/locate/spa
* Co-sponsored open access publications:
Have a look to the latest articles in ECP, EJP, EJS, Probab. Surveys and Statist Surveys at http://www.bernoulli-society.org/index.php/publications
* Latest issue of Bernoulli News: http://isi.cbs.nl/bnews/14b/Bernoulli_News_21-2.pdf