Bernoulli Society Bulletin e-Briefs Issue 33 November 2018
- GENERAL NEWS
- JOB OFFERS
- RECENT ISSUES OF OFFICIAL AND SPONSORED PUBLICATIONS
***Bernoulli Society on Twitter
Bernoulli Society has launched its own Twitter account, @BernoulliSoc. We invite all BS members to follow us!
***Bernoulli Journal Editors
Markus Reiss and Mark Podolskij will be the new co-editors of the Bernoulli Journal starting January 2019.
Among the prestigious awards by the Committee of Presidents of Statistical Societies (COPSS), Richard Samworth (Council Member) has received the Presidents' Award, Bin Yu received the Elizabeth L. Scott Award, and our president Susan A. Murphy has received the R. A. Fisher Award. Congratulations!
*** Bernoulli Society New Researcher Award 2020
The Bernoulli Society welcomes applications to the New Researcher Award 2020. This time the award will be in Probability Theory. Each awardee shall deliver a talk at a special invited session during the World Congress in Probability and Statistics 2020, and will receive a funding up to 1000€ to offset travel and other expenses. The deadline is March 15, 2019 and candidates should apply through the web form https://goo.gl/forms/v8zDJaFUKj5IGEG73.
*** Call for Nominations for the Newbold Prize
Events sponsored and co-sponsored by Bernoulli Society
***41st Conference on Stochastic Processes and their Applications
July 08 - 12, 2019
SPA Conferences are organized under patronage of the Bernoulli Society and can justifiably be regarded as the most important international scientific meeting on the theory and applications of stochastic processes. They are held annually except for the years when the World Congress in Probability and Statistics takes place.
***European Meeting of Statisticians (EMS) 2019
July 22 - 26, 2019
The European Meeting of Statisticians (EMS), sponsored by the European Regional Committee of the Bernoulli Society, is the main conference in statistics and probability in Europe. EMS is a conference where statisticians of all ages and from all regions meet to exchange ideas and talk about the newest developments on the broad field of statistics and probability theory. The conference is organized every other year.
***21st European Young Statisticians Meeting
July 29 - August 02, 2019
The European Young Statisticians Meetings are held every two years under the auspices of the European Regional Committee of the Bernoulli Society. The idea of the meeting is to provide young researchers (less than thirty years of age or two to eight years of research experience) an introduction to the international scene within the broad subject area - from pure probability theory to applied statistics. Every participant is expected to submit an abstract and a short paper for conference proceedings and to give a twenty minutes talk introducing his/her research field to a wide audience.
***62nd ISI World Statistics Congress 2019
August 18 - 23, 2019
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The Bernoulli Society (BS) invites the submission of proposals for BS-sponsored Invited Paper Sessions (IPS) at the 2019 ISI World Statistics Congress, to be held from 18 to 23 August 2019 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Proposals can be submitted as of 1 January 2018 using the electronic submission system on the WSC website.
***XV Latin American Congress of Probability and Mathematical Statistics (CLAPEM 2019)
December 2 - 6, 2019
Hotel Castellano, Merida-Yucatán, México
The Congreso Latinoamericano de Probabilidad y Estadística Matemática (CLAPEM) is the official meeting of the Sociedad Latino Americana de Probabilidad y Estadística Matemática (SLAPEM), the Latin American Chapter of the Bernoulli Society. It is the major event in Probability and Statistics in the region and it gathers an important number of researchers and students, predominantly from Latin America.
***Universality in Random Structures: Interfaces, Matrices, Sandpiles 2019
January 14 - February 8, 2019
Madhava Lecture Hall, ICTS, Bangalore, India
The primary focus of this program will be on the theme of universality in three different classes of discrete random structures. This program aims to bring together leading researchers in these areas from all over the world for a discussion on recent progress and remaining challenges. The plan is to have a mini-course each week, aimed at the graduate students and young researchers, together with a number of talks and open problem sessions, and enough free slots for discussions and collaboration between the participants.
***Singapore-Abu Dhabi-Shanghai-India Probability Meeting (SASI)
May 27 - 29, 2019
Institute for Mathematical Sciences, National University of Singapore
The aim of the meeting is to bring together probability researchers from the Asia region, in particular from Singapore, NYU-Abu Dhabi, NYU-Shanghai, and India, to foster research collaborations and discussions amongst all of us on a regular basis. The first meeting was held in May 2017 at the Indian Statistical Institute in Bangalore, India (http://www.isibang.ac.in/~athreya/pmtnl/).
***29th European Safety and Reliability Conference (ESREL)
September 22 - 26, 2019
The Committee on Probability and Statistics in the Physical Sciences (CPSPS) of the Bernoulli Society for Mathematical Statistics and Probability is supporting the 29th European Safety and Reliability Conference as a collaborative partner. ESREL is organized by the Institute for Risk and Reliability, Leibniz Universität Hannover under the auspices of the European Safety and Reliability Association (ESRA). The objective of ESREL 2019 is to provide an all-round inspiring environment and a multi-disciplinary forum for the exchange of knowledge and expertise on theories and methods in the field of risk, safety and reliability, and on their application to a wide range of industrial, civil and social sectors and problem areas. Papers presented will be published in open access conference proceedings by Research Publishing Services, Singapore. The deadline for abstract submission is November 20.
*Assistant Professorships at EPFL. The School of Basic Sciences at EPFL invites applications for two Tenure Track Assistant Professorships in Mathematics. Candidates in all fields will be considered. The Institute is encouraging applicants with expertise in the areas of dynamical systems, algebraic structures, as well as discrete mathematics. Looking for candidates with an outstanding research record and the capacity to direct high quality research. A strong commitment to excellence in teaching at all levels expected. While appointments are foreseen at the tenure-track assistant professor level, in truly exceptional cases more senior appointments might be considered. The evaluation process will start on November 15, 2018. See https://professeurs.epfl.ch/page-158249-fr.html.
* Assistant / Associate / Full Professor at UC Berkeley. The Department of Statistics at the University of California, Berkeley seeks applications for an Assistant, Associate or Full Professor position, in all areas of theoretical and applied probability or statistics with an expected start date of July 1, 2019. Professorships and Associate Professorships carry tenure, and Assistant Professor positions are regarded as tenure-track. With a broad view of Statistical Science, strong candidates working in theoretical or applied probability and strong candidates in applied statistics who work at the interface between statistics and the computational, biological, physical and social sciences will be considered. School of Mathematics and Statistics is seeking to expand its expertise in contemporary statistics within the Statistics research group. The closing dates are November 23, 2018 and December 28, 2018. See https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF01885 and https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF01886.
* Postdoctoral position at IHES. The Institut des Hautes Études Scientifiques (IHES) offers a 2-year postdoctoral position in Probability and Mathematical Physics beginning September 2019 and funded by the ERC grant of Professor Hugo Duminil-Copin. All candidates with background in Probability or Mathematical Physics, and interested in working on the mathematical and physical aspects of Statistical Physics and Probability Theory, are encouraged to apply. The application deadline is November 25, 2018. See https://www.ihes.fr/candidatures/post-doc/erc-criblam/.
* Assistant Professors at Tilburg University. The Department of Econometrics and OR at Tilburg University is looking for two tenure track Assistant Professors in Econometric Theory. Looking for candidates whose main research focus is on developing novel econometric and statistical methods that are relevant for applied work in economics and related fields. Applications in all fields of econometric and statistical theory are welcome. The application deadline is December 3, 2018. See https://www.econjobmarket.org/positions/5345.
* Postdoctoral Fellow at Harvard University. On sequential decision making in mobile health, including experimental design and reinforcement learning algorithms. This position is in Professor Susan Murphy's lab. The successful applicant will be expected to develop an innovative research program in sequential decision making. See https://statistics.fas.harvard.edu/open-positions.
Recent Issues of Official and Sponsored Publications
* Recent issues of official publications of the Bernoulli Society
Stochastic Processes and their Applications http://goo.gl/JCahtH, Bernoulli http://goo.gl/yJywLg
* Co-sponsored publications
Have a look at http://goo.gl/7EP2cZ for the latest articles in Electronic Communications in Probability, Electronic Journal of Probability, Electronic Journal of Statistics, Probability Surveys, Statistics Surveys, and ALEA.
* Bernoulli News
Latest issue at http://goo.gl/nRDPYo