Bernoulli Society Bulletin e-Briefs Issue 38
- GENERAL NEWS
- JOB OFFERS
- RECENT ISSUES OF OFFICIAL AND SPONSORED PUBLICATIONS
***Donations welcome for Young Researcher Outreach Award
With the next BS membership payment there will be the chance to make a donation that will go towards the “Young Researcher Outreach Award” and will finance the travel and accommodation of young researchers from developing countries (as per the World Bank classification) to attend the Bernoulli-IMS 10th World Congress in Probability and Statistics (17-21 Aug, 2020), including the Pre-meeting for Young Researchers (15-16 Aug, 2020) in Seoul, South Korea. We appreciate your support!
***Leonardo Rolla as new Publicity Secretary and Sebastian Engelke as new Membership Secretary
As of November 2019, Leonardo Rolla (University of Buenos Aires, Argentina) has succeeded Victor Panaretos as the Publicity Chair. Leonardo’s recent role as Membership Secretary is taken over by Sebastian Engelke (University of Geneva, Switzerland). We thank Victor for leading the Publicity Committee and we know that Leo and Sebastian will continue the great work!
***Bikramjit Das appointed new chair of the EAPRC
Bikramjit Das (SUTD, Singapore) has been appointed as the new chair of the East Asia Pacific Regional Committee (EAPRC), succeeding Konstantin Borovkov, in that role as of January 2020, for a two-year term. We thank Konstantin for his contributions and wish Bikramjit success in his new role!
***LARC-SLAPEM General Assembly at XV CLAPEM
The General Assembly of the Latin American Regional Committee - Sociedad Latinoamericana de Probabilidad y Estadistica Matematica will take place on Thursday, December 5, 2019 during the XV CLAPEM in Mérida, Yucatán, México. We invite all the LARC-SLAPEM members to participate in this Assembly and to discuss possible future actions to promote collaboration and dissemination of Probability and Mathematical Statistics in the region.
***Call for hosting the XVI CLAPEM in 2022
***Byeong Park wins the 33rd Inchon Award in Science and Technology
Our former Scientific Secretary, Byeong Uk Park (Seoul National University) has received the 33rd Inchon Award, which is recognized as one of the major awards in Republic of Korea. Inchon is the pen name of a famous Korean who established "Korea University", "Dong-A Daily News" (a very popular newspaper in the nation) and held the office of Vice-President of Republic of Korea about 70 years ago. Professor Park won the award in the field of Science and Technology for the first time in statistical science. Each recipient of the award is presented with the Letter of Citation, a medal, and a cash prize of 100M Korean Won. Congratulations!
***Call for Nominations for the 2020 Doeblin Prize
***Bernoulli-EMS Lecture at the 8th ECM
Alice Guionnet (ENS, Lyon, http://perso.ens-lyon.fr/aguionne/)will deliver the joint Bernoulli-EMS Lecture at the 8th European Congress of Mathematics https://www.8ecm.si/, to take place in Slovenia during July 5 – 11, 2020.
Events sponsored and co-sponsored by Bernoulli Society
***XV Latin American Congress of Probability and Mathematical Statistics (CLAPEM 2019)
December 2 - 6, 2019
Hotel Castellano, Merida-Yucatán, México
The Congreso Latinoamericano de Probabilidad y Estadística Matemática (CLAPEM) is the official meeting of the Sociedad Latinoamericana de Probabilidad y Estadística Matemática (SLAPEM), the Latin American Chapter of the Bernoulli Society. It is the major event in Probability and Statistics in the region and it gathers an important number of researchers and students, predominantly from Latin America.
***Workshop on Probabilistic Coupling and Geometry (Kendall’s 65th Birthday)
December 9 - 10, 2019
University of Warwick, UK
This two-day meeting will coincide with a celebration of Professor Wilfrid Kendall’s 65th birthday. It will bring together a group of academics working in areas of probability, statistics and theoretical computer science that make use of coupling arguments. In particular, the workshop will be of interest to those working on adaptive MCMC samplers, links between probability and geometry, statistical shape analysis, and perfect simulation algorithms.
***Frontier Probability Days (FPD’20)
May 8 - 10, 2020
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
The Frontier Probability Days is a regional workshop, taking place in 2020 at the University of Nevada. Its purpose is to bring together mathematicians, both regionally and globally, who have an interest in probability and its applications. FPD aims to complement other regional conferences in Probability that are held annually elsewhere in the United States.
***International Symposium on Nonparametric Statistics (ISNPS2020)
June 15 - 19, 2020
The conference will bring forth recent advances and trends in several areas of nonparametric statistics, in order to facilitate the exchange of research ideas, promote collaboration among researchers from all over the world, and contribute to the further development of the field. The program will include plenary talks, special invited talks, invited talks, contributed talks and posters on all areas of nonparametric statistics.
***Bernoulli-IMS 10th World Congress in Probability and Statistics (BS-IMS-WC)
August 17 - 21, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
The congress is the latest in a series organized jointly by the Bernoulli Society and the Institute of Mathematical Statistics. Held every four years, the Congress is a worldwide event covering all branches of statistics and probability. This includes theoretical, methodological, applied and computational statistics and probability, as well as stochastic processes. The latest scientific developments in all of these fields are showcased. It will be held at the Seoul National University.
***42nd Conference on Stochastic Processes and their Applications (SPA 2021)
July 12 - 16, 2021
SPA Conferences are organized under patronage of the Bernoulli Society and can justifiably be regarded as the most important international scientific meeting on the theory and applications of stochastic processes. They are held annually except for the years when the World Congress in Probability and Statistics takes place. The next iteration will be hosted by Wuhan University.
* Assistant Professor in Statistics at UC Berkeley. The Department of Statistics at the University of California, Berkeley seeks applications for at least one Assistant Professor position, in all areas of Probability, Statistics, and Data Science, with an expected start date of July 1st, 2020. Assistant Professor positions are regarded as tenure-track. Deadline is November 15, 2019. Applications should be submitted online through AP Recruit: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF02289
* Tenure-track position at McGill University. The Department of Mathematics and Statistics at McGill University invites applications for a tenure-track position (R1034) in Computational Statistics and Statistical Learning. The Department welcomes applications at the Assistant Professor level, but more senior applicants will be considered. Candidates must have demonstrated excellence in a research domain of computational statistics and statistical learning. Specific areas of interest include, but are not limited to, high-dimensional data analysis, statistical analysis of networks or structured data, big data modelling and spatio-temporal modelling. Applications should be made through http://MathJobs.Org through (Position ID: McGill-COMPSTAT). Deadline for full consideration: November 15, 2019.
* Assistant Professorship in Statistics at UC Davis. The Department of Statistics at the University of California, Davis, invites applications for two tenure-track faculty positions in Statistics. This search will be conducted at the assistant professor rank and the resulting hires will be at the assistant rank, regardless of the proposed appointee’s qualifications. All areas of Statistics will be considered. Preference will be given to those specializing in Data Science and Machine Learning. Individuals specializing in statistical methods for large and complex or massive data are especially encouraged to apply. Deadline to assure full consideration is November 17, 2019. See https://statistics.ucdavis.edu/resources/employment
* Whittaker Research Fellowships at University of Edinburgh. The School of Mathematics intends to appoint at least one fellowship in each of its themes: Applied and Computational Mathematics (ACM); Analysis and Probability (AP); Optimization, Operational Research and Statistics (OORS); Structure & Symmetry (SS – featuring Algebra, Geometry, Mathematical Physics, Topology). Applications that sit between or beyond these themes or are based in Mathematical Sciences Education (MSE) are also welcome. Deadline is November 21, 2019. Seehttps://www.vacancies.ed.ac.uk/pls/corehrrecruit/erq_jobspec_version_4.jobspec?p_id=050154
* Tenure-Track positions at Tilburg University. The Department of Econometrics is looking for two tenure-track assistant or associate professors. Candidates should have a strong background in quantitative methods, contribute to research in economics and finance, and publish in the leading journals in economics, business and statistics. Research interests range from econometrics and statistics, economic and finance theory, and computational economics and finance to applications in economics, finance, and related fields. Deadline is November 27, 2019.See https://econjobmarket.org/positions/6243
* Lectureship/Readership in Probability and Stochastic Analysis at University of Edinburgh. As part of an ambitious long-term plan for the School of Mathematics, the University of Edinburgh is making a substantial number of new appointments in the Mathematical Sciences, which includes expansion into part of the new £40M Bayes Centre. Those pursuing interdisciplinary research with links to other fields, for instance, Computing, Engineering, Finance, Physics, or links to industry are also encouraged to apply. Deadline is November 29, 2019. See https://www.vacancies.ed.ac.uk/pls/corehrrecruit/erq_jobspec_version_4.jobspec?p_id=050093
* Tenure-track/tenured positions at Peking University. The Center for Statistical Science at Peking University is a cross-campus center for statistical science. There are multiple open rank tenure-track or tenured positions joint with Department of Probability and Statistics (DPS) and Department of Financial Mathematics (DFM), School of Mathematical Science. The position with DPS can be in either Statistics or Probability while the preference is given to the area of Statistics. There is also an open rank tenure-track or tenured position in the area of modern computation-driven statistics with a close connection to Business Analytics jointly with Department of Business Statistics and Econometrics, Guanghua School of Management. Deadline isDecember 1, 2019. See https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/14671
* Associate or Full Professor in Statistics at UC Berkeley. The Department of Statistics at the University of California, Berkeley seeks applications for at least one Associate or Full Professor position, in all areas of Probability, Statistics, and Data Science, with an
expected start date of July 1st, 2020. Deadline is December 6, 2019. Applications should be submitted online through AP Recruit: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF02290
* Associate/Assistant Professor in Big Data at The University of Hong Kong. Applications are invited for appointment as tenure-track associate Professor/Assistant Professor in Big Data in Environment and Climate Science in the Research Division for Mathematical and Statistical Science, The University of Hong Kong, to commence as soon as possible. Direct tenure may be offered to outstanding candidates for Associate Professor position. Applicants should possess a Ph.D. degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, Computer Science, Computational Biology or related disciplines. Deadline is December 15, 2019. See https://jobs.hku.hk/cw/en/job/498769.
* Associate/Assistant Professor in AI at The University of Hong Kong. Applications are invited for appointment as Tenure-track Associate Professor/Assistant Professor in Artificial Intelligence (2 posts) in the Research Division for Mathematical and Statistical Science, The University of Hong Kong, to commence as soon as possible. Direct tenure may be offered to outstanding candidates for Associate Professor position. Applicants should possess a Ph.D. degree in Mathematics/Statistics/Data Science/Computational Science, or related disciplines.
Deadline is December 31, 2019. See https://jobs.hku.hk/cw/en/job/498526.
Recent Issues of Official and Sponsored Publications
* Recent issues of official publications of the Bernoulli Society
Stochastic Processes and their Applications http://goo.gl/JCahtH
* Co-sponsored publications
Have a look at http://goo.gl/7EP2cZ for the latest articles in Electronic Communications in Probability, Electronic Journal of Probability, Electronic Journal of Statistics, Probability Surveys, Statistics Surveys, and ALEA.
* Bernoulli News
Latest issue at http://goo.gl/nRDPYo